20 April 2011

I Choose To Live

Life is comprised of many choices that we face each and every day. 

Has there ever been a time when you thought about taking your own life, for whatever reason?  Had it come to a point when you wanted to end everything because you couldn’t handle everything that’s happening to you and around you?  Well, if you’re reading this and can relate to it, I’m glad you didn’t.  I’m glad I didn’t.

Life is a gift in itself, and it is given to us for us to take care of.  Our minds are clouded by the world around us, but as it says in Romans, “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.” (Romans 12:2 NIV) Many people don’t understand that our lives are basically a gift from God, and they let the worldly things take over them.

I admit, back then, I was guilty of this; that is, until I found new life in Christ.  And boy, it was so amazing.  “But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.” (Ephesians 2:4,5) It is in this new life that we become children of God.

It’s this new life in Christ that’s sustaining me right now, and I honestly couldn’t ask for more.  God just does wonders, and I’m just amazed each and every day with what He does in my life.  He’s changed me in ways I never imagined possible back then. “I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.” (Ezekiel 36:26 NIV)

But, it doesn’t end there.  Life, as I’ve mentioned earlier, consists of choices.  Most of the time, it’s in the simple everyday decisions we make that we focus more on ourselves than what God is planning for us.   We’d choose to remain angry with someone who did us wrong.  We’d choose to satisfy our mundane cravings, even though we have full knowledge that this is against the teachings of the Bible, against His Word.  It starts with these simple things; the simple everyday choices we make.  And it shows in how we live our lives.

It’s hard, I know.  Even I have struggles I face everyday.  So, what helps?  Choosing to be in Christ, each and every waking moment of our lives.  What can go wrong, then?  Every moment of our lives is a test of faith, a testimony as to whether we truly are in Christ.

When things seem to go wrong, talk to God.  “Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.” (Jeremiah 29:12 NIV) Tell him of your worries, but I’m sure, He’ll reassure you, “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” (Jeremiah 29:11 NIV)

We are where we are right now because of the choices we made.  More importantly, it is God’s will for us to be where we stand.  Take a look at your journey with Christ and take notice of all the marvelous things He’s done.  What better way is there to repay Him of the love He gives, than become a good child of God?  It’s our choice to live out to our names as Christians, as children of God.  It’s the challenge for all Christians.

"To call yourself a child of God is one thing. To be called a child of God by those who watch your life isanother thing altogether." (Max Lucado)

It’s never too early to be a good example.  It only shows how God gives us the strength and wisdom to be light to others; light that emanates, reaches out and touches the lives of others, especially those who are lost in the midst of darkness in this world.  If you feel that life’s bringing you down, remember that God has a plan for you.  The challenge is how you’ll respond to everything that’s happening in your life, the choices you make—will these be according to God’s plan, or will you let the worldly things take over?

It all starts with the decision to live a life in Christ—every aspect, every moment—and just let Him work His wonders in you. I’m sure you’ve experienced this at least once in your life, and wouldn’t you say it’s worth it?  Wouldn’t you want that feeling you get when you glorify His name for the rest of you life?  Wouldn’t you want to experience eternal life with God? I know I would.  It’s something I wouldn’t give up for the world.  How about you? :)

“For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 6:23 NIV)




This was written for my friend, Fiona's blog. The link can be found here. :)

4 comments:

  1. This is great, gelo!! Inspiring. Thank God for His purpose for your life. :) ALWAYS, ALWAYS.. Choose life :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw your post on pastor dennis sy's blog and found myself here. Just bookmarked your blog and finished reading 3 out of your entries. I hope you don't mind that I shared them on my facebook page and groups. May God bless your heart and the works of your hands gelo. Keep writing! All for His glory :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ressa! I don't mind at all, don't worry. Sorry for the many months without posts, but hopefully, I can write as often soon. :)

    ReplyDelete